Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crafty

I'm bored, and wish to post something, but all my creativity has been sucked up by the NaNoWriMo book I'm writing. So, I will instead share this thing I built Friday. I am very proud of my little clipboard holder. It is very pretty; I even put my flag on it to make it prettier.
(Do you even have your own flag?)

I didn't take any pictures of the basic build, it was just so simple I didn't see the need for a photographic record. So, you get to see it after it's all put together.

(A picture's worth a thousand words)

This is about the time I remembered I had a camera with me and thought it might be a good idea to take a few snapshots. As you can see, it's a very simple build. Hell it's just a skinny box.

I took a bit of paneling and an old 1x2 that had been gathering dust in the workshop, I used a jigsaw to cut the paneling into two pieces as tall as my clipboard and a couple inches wider. Using the same jigsaw, I cut three pieces of 1x2 for the sides and bottom of the box, then screwed everything together.

(Come closer my dear)

A quick test fit showed me the clipboard went in fine, but was a pain to get out. So, I used a paint can to mark out the groove. Jigsawed both sides out, then took some sandpaper to the whole thing.

(This was the only tricky part)

Took me a good half hour to find something suitable to hold it in place. Trying to find anything in that workshop is a royal pain, and always takes forever. These hooks aren't perfect, but after all that searching, I just wanted to get the thing finished.

(Ah, paint fumes)

Here it is again after a couple of quick coats of spray paint. I love the color, if you look at the other picture you can see it darkened up just a bit after drying.

(That bungy was to keep it from flapping around)

That bungy was a piece of shit. Stupid thing tore completely apart the first time my heel clipped the box. I'm luck it didn't get caught in the spokes. If you look back at the first picture you'll see that I'm now using a much thicker cord. This new one keeps the clipboard from bouncing around too.

I want to paint my flag on there, but I'm lazy, and painting those curves are a real pain in the ass.

Bonus pictures below.
.
.
.
(Is that cool or what?)

I found this when I was looking for hooks, it's a glas vial holding 50cc. of dextrose solution. Dating back to whenever the hell they still used glass vials for dextrose solution. Probably sometime in the sixties.

(Came all the way from Philly)

I was so tempted to pop this thing open and chug the contents. As it is, I still want to go back and take it. It's just so damned cool looking.

βeta, out.

1 comment:

mom of 2 wonderful brats said...

no I do not have my own flag...but I do have my own bike thank you very much!!!!